Back Up Grades
It is a good idea to back up your FoxTALE course periodically and store the backup file in a location outside of FoxTALE. This document gives instructions for backing up your course content with or without student data.
If you are using FoxTALE as your grade book, it’s especially important to archive your grades to a spreadsheet that is stored outside of FoxTALE. The Faculty Handbook requires that you keep five years of grade files.
- Log in to the course.
- In the Administration block > Course Administration, click Backup.
- The next screen shows the Backup settings. Keep the default settings, and add a check mark for Include course logs.
- Click Next.
- The next screen shows the list of items to be included. There are two lists, on the left is all your course content, on the right is the User data*. (You want to include everything in the backup, so you can leave the default settings.) Click Next at the bottom right of the screen.
*NOTE: at this point, if you do not want to include the user data, select “None” at the top of the list.
- The next screen shows the name of the backup file that will be created and a summary of the items to be included. Click Perform backup at the bottom right of the screen.
- The next screen shows a progress bar of the backup process as it occurs.
- Next, you’ll see a message that The backup file was successfully created. Click Continue.
FoxTALE shows you that a file has been created in the Course backup area. Previous course backups are also stored in this folder.
The Faculty Handbook requires that you keep five years of grade files.
If you used FoxTALE for grades, then you can archive grades to a spreadsheet that is saved outside of FoxTALE for easy future reference.
- From the course home page, go to Settings > Course Administration > Grades.
- Choose the Export page tab, and click the Excel spreadsheet link. (To download to a text file, choose Plain text file.)
- Choose desired options and items to include. If you have set up grade categories, you can choose whether to export the category totals.
You can also choose whether or not to export feedback.
- FoxTALE shows you a preview of the data to export. Click Download.
Depending on your browser, you’ll have the choice to open or save the file. Save the file to a destination outside of FoxTALE. Be sure that the file name indicates the course number, section and semester.
- Your grades will be available for your reference at any time outside of FoxTALE.
Questions? Contact the Service Desk | firstname.lastname@example.org | 503-554-2569