The glossary activity module enables participants to create and maintain a list of definitions, like a dictionary, or to collect and organize resources or information.
A teacher can allow files to be attached to glossary entries. Attached images are displayed in the entry. Entries can be searched or browsed alphabetically or by category, date or author. Entries can be approved by default or require approval by a teacher before they are viewable by everyone.
If the glossary auto-linking filter is enabled, entries will be automatically linked where the concept words and/or phrases appear within the course.
A teacher can allow comments on entries. Entries can also be rated by teachers or students (peer evaluation). Ratings can be aggregated to form a final grade which is recorded in the gradebook.
Glossaries have many uses, such as
- A collaborative bank of key terms
- A ‘getting to know you’ space where new students add their name and personal details
- A ‘handy tips’ resource of best practice in a practical subject
- A sharing area of useful videos, images or sound files
- A revision resource of facts to remember
How do I add an entry in a glossary?
- Enter the course site where the glossary is posted.
- Click on the hyperlink that takes you into the glossary:
- Select the “Add a new entry” tab:
- Type the term in the “Concept” box
- Enter the definition
- Assign keywords to the term by adding them in the Keywords text box. This creates a social bookmarking scheme.
- Use the check boxes to control the degree to which the term will be automatically linked whenever it appears in forums, summaries and any other place where you type text into the FoxTALE system.
- Categories will only appear if they have been created in the “Browse by Category” tab.
- Select the Save changes button at the bottom of the page to save your entry:
Questions? Contact the Service Desk | firstname.lastname@example.org | 503-554-2569