Set up your Mobile Device with Google Sync to access your Google Apps mail, contacts and calendars using your devices’ native applications.
This guide shows the set up on an iPhone (iOS), however, the settings are the same on other devices. View other setups here.
Requirements and Backing Up Data
- Perform a sync with iTunes to ensure that Contacts and Calendars from your iOS device are backed up to your computer. Learn more.
- Check your Safari cookies settings to see if it is set to "From Visited" or "Always". If it's set to "Never", you're more likely to be prompted to solve a CAPTCHA.
Create Your Account
1. Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Press Add Account....
4. Select Exchange. iOS 4.0+ allows multiple Exchange accounts. However, if you're on a device that doesn't let you add a second account, you could also use CalDAV to sync Google Calendar and IMAP to sync Gmail and CardDAV to sync contacts.
5. Enter Account Information:
Enter your full Google Apps email address in the Email field and password in the Password field and tap Next.
6. Server - enter m.google.com
7. Leave Domain field blank.
8. Enter your full George Fox e-mail address as the Username.
9. If it’s not already there, enter your George Fox account password as the Password.
Tap Save when finished.
Select the Google services you want to sync, such as Mail, Contacts, and Calendars and tap Save. To receive and respond to meeting requests on your device, you need to turn on both Mail and Calendar and New events in your Google Calendar settings. See below for more information.
Congrats! You've set up Google Sync!
Synchronization will begin automatically if you have Push enabled on your device. You can also open the Mail, Calendar, or Contacts app and wait a few seconds to start a sync. Note that if you've recently signed up for Google Apps for Work, Education, or Government, it can take a few hours (up to 24) before you're able to sync with your mobile device.
Calendars - Choosing which calendars to sync
Google Sync can sync up to 25 Google Calendars with the Calendar app on your iOS device (your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch).
To select which calendars to sync to your iOS device, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome or Safari browser on your device and go to
- Note: You need to have the language set to English (US) to sync multiple calendars.
- Select Sync.
- Sign in with your account and select your device from the list of devices you've set up for Google Sync.
- Select the calendars you want to sync, and tap Save.
- Bookmark this page so you can return to it easily.
NOTE: you can also select which calendars to sync from your computer by using this link: https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect
Why use the “Exchange” account setup instead of “Gmail”?
Although you can access your email with either setup, only the Exchange setup will give you access to the Global Address book.
The reasons for using Google Sync include:
- Push email notification. The "Gmail" interface does not have push, however the Gmail fetch settings update up to every 15 minutes.
- Automatic synchronization of messages. With the "Gmail" interface, you may have to manually refresh the view to see new messages, deletions, or moves but you can also set it to fetch up to every 15 minutes.
- Global Address Directory is only available on the Exchange setup.
Experiencing setup or sync issues? See the Known Issues page.
Alternate Option: Use Web Browser
- On your mobile device, open a browser and log in to mail.georgefox.edu.
Forwarding your George Fox email to a personal Gmail account?
- If you forward your George Fox email to a personal gmail account and want to be able to view your contacts on your mobile device then set up a second account with your personal gmail account as an Exchange account. Use the same instructions as above entering your personal gmail address instead of your George Fox address.