Magic Mouse 2 & Magic Keyboard: just needs El Capitan
Magic Trackpad 2: needs Bluetooth 4.0 and El Capitan
The following models will support El Capitan:
- iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
- MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
- Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
- Xserve (Early 2009)
Here's how someone can check what version of Bluetooth is on their Mac:
- Click the menu.
- Select About This Mac.
- Click on the System Report... button.
- Select Bluetooth from the sidebar on the left, underneath "Hardware"
- Scan down the list of information until you find "LMP Version."
- If your Mac is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0, LMP Version will say 0x6. Anything lower than that is an older version of Bluetooth